The Office of the Provost provides academic leadership to the University. Its fundamental mission is to champion innovation and excellence in teaching, research, creative production, and service.
The executive vice president and provost (Kevin Kregel) is the university's chief academic officer. Reporting directly to the president, the provost is responsible for the supervision of all academic programs, a wide range of faculty matters (including academic promotion and tenure decisions and faculty advocacy), student academic affairs, and strategic academic planning. He or she communicates on behalf of the university with the Board of Regents, State of Iowa, and with a wide variety of internal and external constituencies. The provost is a principal participant in collaborative decision-making involving university-wide strategic planning and budget development, management of auxiliary enterprises, health care services, and the conduct of research and scholarship.
The provost delegates some of the responsibilities of the Office of the Provost to the
- associate provost for undergraduate education and dean of the University College (Tanya Uden-Holman),
- associate provost for graduate education and dean of the Graduate College (Amanda Haertling Thein),
- associate provost for faculty (Lois Geist),
- associate provost and dean of International Programs (Russell Ganim),
- associate vice president for enrollment management (Brent Gage),
- associate vice president and director of administration and planning (Don Szeszycki),
- director of the Office of Community Engagement (Nick Benson), and
- directors of units within the Division of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
- executive officer and associate vice president, Division of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (Liz Tovar),
- director of the Center for Inclusive Academic Excellence (Tabitha Wiggins),
- director of Inclusive Education and Strategic Initiatives (Brianna Marcelo),
- director of Office of Institutional Equity
- director of Title IX and Gender Equity, Title IX coordinator (Monique DiCarlo)
- director of Equity Investigations and ADA coordinator (Tiffini Stevenson Earl)
- director of Equal Employment Opportunity, Affirmative Action, and Compliance (Jennifer Modestou).
The deans of the university's twelve colleges report to the provost, as do the deans of University College, Distance and Online Education, and International Programs, along with the university librarian and the director of the Stanley Museum of Art. The chief information officer reports jointly to the provost and senior vice president for finance and operations. The director of the Institute for Clinical and Translational Science, like the dean of the Carver College of Medicine, reports jointly to the provost and vice president for medical affairs.