Getting Off to a Good Start
A guide to resources and advice to help you as you begin your career at the University of Iowa.
National Center for Faculty Development and Diversity (NCFDD)
Supported by a partnership between the Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost and the Division of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, the University of Iowa is an institutional member of the National Center for Faculty Development and Diversity (NCFDD). The NCFDD is an independent faculty development center dedicated to supporting academics in making successful transitions throughout their careers.
All UI faculty, staff, postdoctoral scholars, and graduate students can access the National Center for Faculty Development and Diversity (NCFDD) webinars and resources via their personal computers once they have activated an account.
- To activate an account, go to the National Center for Faculty Development and Diversity website: facultydiversity.org
- Select the “Become a Member” tab at the top of the page.
- When asked to “Select your institution” scroll to the “University of Iowa” and press continue.
- You will be led to the University of Iowa membership page where you can “Activate My Membership.” Complete the registration process using your uiowa.edu email account. Please note that if any of the categories do not apply to your classification, rank, or discipline, you may edit by selecting the "x" to clear the field, type in your information, and save the changes.
- You will receive a welcome email within 24 hours confirming your account.
The NCFDD Institutional Membership offers numerous benefits at no charge to UI faculty, staff, postdoctoral scholars, and graduate students.
- Weekly Monday Motivator e-mail messages providing productivity tips and reminders
- Monthly productivity webinars and multi-week courses facilitated by national faculty development experts
- NCFDD Career Center Resources and Workshops
- Audio recordings, slides, and transcripts of all webinars to access at your convenience
- Moderated monthly writing challenges
- NCFDD Discussion Forum and peer network
- Monthly accountability buddy match
If you have technical questions or concerns, contact the NCFDD Member Relations Coordinator, Allision Van Buren, Email: Allison@FacultyDiversity.org or phone: 1-313-347-8485 ext. 3.
For information about UI’s institutional membership, contact the Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost. Email: email@example.com or phone: 319-335-0256.
Faculty Success Program
Summer 2023 Priority Registration: January 25 - February 24, 2023
Fall 2023 Priority Registration: April 5 - May 5, 2023
Spring 2024 Priority Registration: September 13 - October 13
Faculty Leadership Initiative: In partnership with your department/college, provides support for faculty to attend programs such as the NCFDD Faculty Success Program.
"Our faculty at all career stages, especially faculty of color and other underrepresented faculty members, have found the NCFDD resources beneficial to achieving their career and personal goals. The NCFDD provides research-informed, practical advice for setting goals and succeeding in academic environments. As Institutional Members, we are proud to offer these resources to faculty and graduate students at no cost."
Teaching, research, service, and work life resources to help you during your career at the University of Iowa