Big Ten Academic Alliance Leadership Development Opportunities
The Big Ten Academic Alliance (BTAA) offers a comprehensive range of leadership development programs designed for faculty and higher education administrators, bringing perspectives that are unique to individuals from large R1 universities.
Iowa Academic Leadership Academy
Co-sponsored by the Office of the Executive Vice President and University Human Resources, the Iowa Academic Leadership Academy (IALA), formerly known as the DEO Leadership Program, is designed to support new or aspiring leaders (departmental executive officers, program directors, associate deans or other campus leaders) to make a successful transition to these key roles. The program is designed to be complementary to collegiate support for leaders. Competency-based content will be delivered via small cohorts and one-on-one mentoring tailored to individual needs and goals. There will also be an opportunity to meet and learn from key institutional leaders.
Program participants will experience:
- Competency-based curriculum built upon national models and research
- Cross-college cohort interactions with other leaders to discuss topics and challenges
- Self-guided learning carried out in confidential one-on-one coaching sessions
- Access to key resources, both people and tools, to assist with leadership issues as they emerge
- Networking opportunities with seasoned campus leaders
Nominations for participation in the cohort must be submitted through collegiate deans and associate deans for faculty. Call for nominations will be sent late April/early May.
The program includes content that will address: the transition to a new role, basic management skills, development of skills to successfully lead others, and development of a vision for your department and for yourself.
- Mechanics of Being an Academic Leader
- Leading People
- Leading Change
- Department Action Plan
- Personal Leadership Growth
Executive Coaching Sessions
Participants meet one-on-one with trained Organization Effectiveness leadership coaches to clarify individual goals and develop tailored learning objectives.
Teaming with a seasoned academic leader for one-on-one mentoring to discuss personal and professional goals as a leader and how to achieve those goals.
Participants will develop cross-college cohort interactions with other leaders to discuss topics and challenges; network with seasoned campus leaders; and gain access to key resources, both people and tools, to assist with leadership issues as they emerge.
DEO Conversations with Campus Leaders
This program provides an opportunity for DEOs to speak directly with key campus leaders and network with other DEOs across colleges and disciplines.
Conversation with Academic Leadership
September 20, 2023 | 8-9 am | via Zoom
Kevin C. Kregel, executive vice president and provost
Conversation with Research Leadership
October 18, 2023 | 8-9 am | via Zoom
Marty Scholtz, vice president for research
Conversation with Financial Leadership
February 21, 2024 | 8-9 am | via Zoom
Terry Johnson, university chief financial officer and treasurer
Susan Klatt, assistant vice president and director, Treasury Operations & Financial Management; university secretary
Don Szeszycki, associate vice president and director of administration and planning
Conversation with Student Affairs Leadership
March 6, 2024 | 8-9 am | via Zoom
Sarah Hansen, vice president for student life
Angie Reams, dean of students
All departmental executive officers (DEOs) are invited to participate in these workshops.
Leading through the Faculty Career Life Cycle
September 6, 2023 | 8-9:30 am | via Zoom
- Overview of UI Faculty: Tracks, Ranks, Distribution, Demographics
- Mapping Your Unit Faculty
- Planning for and Managing Opportunities and Challenges of the Faculty Career Life Cycle
Difficult Conversations/Managing Conflict
October 24, 2023 | 8-9:30 am | via Zoom
- Discuss approaches to difficult conversations
- Learn about campus resources for conflict resolution
Creating an Inclusive and Welcoming Environment for Faculty and Staff
November 8, 2023 | 8-9:30 am | via Zoom
- Understanding the role of the DEO in developing a welcoming and inclusive culture
Conducting Annual Reviews
February 7, 2024 | 8-9:30 am | via Zoom
- Understand the importance of the annual review
- Learn to articulate the process for annual reviews
- Appreciate the importance of establishing clear expectations for faculty participation
- Documenting the outcome of the annual review
Managing Up, Down, and Sideways
March 26, 2024 | 8-9:30 am | via Zoom
- Learn more about the various constituents to which the DEO is accountable
- Learn more about managing varying and competing relationships
Care for Yourself and Others
April 23, 2024 | 8-9:30 am | via Zoom
- Recognize the importance of resilience
- Develop healthy habits for stress management
Deans, Directors, DEO Listserv
Maintained by UI Printing and Mailing Services; directed toward deans, directors, and departmental officers but also open to other subscribers.