Management of a Conflict of Interest in the Workplace
- If it is determined that a disclosed external activity or interest poses, or appears to pose, a conflict of interest in the workplace, the respective Associate Dean for Faculty or the Senior HR Representative will work with the employee’s supervisor and/or DEO to develop a written management plan using the Management Plan Template.
- Management plan actions may include: nothing beyond documentation of disclosure, strategies to eliminate the conflictual elements of the activity, and/or prohibition of the activity.
- The proposed plan will be forwarded to the respective collegiate dean or vice-president for review and approval. A copy of this management plan shall be shared with the appropriate parties and maintained in the employee's personnel file.
- An employee’s conflict of interest disclosures and any existing management plans will be reviewed at least annually, or as needed, by the central administrative office, the employee’s employing unit, and the respective Dean or Vice President.
Management of a Conflict of Commitment (Faculty Effort)
- If a DEO or equivalent determines that engaging in an external activity poses a conflict of commitment, the DEO or equivalent will work with the faculty member to develop a written Management Plan Template below.
- Management plan actions will vary based on the situation and may include: requiring nothing beyond documentation of disclosure, arrangements to cover all university responsibilities during his or her absence, strategies to eliminate the conflictual elements of the activity, and/or prohibition of the activity.
- A management strategy for a conflict of commitment shall not include any reduction in an employee's salary and shall not otherwise take into account payments received by an employee for outside activities, unless the management strategy also includes a formal reduction in employee effort or a leave of absence from the University.
- No account of disclosures or management plans shall be taken into consideration at a later date when setting the annual salary of an employee, including any payments received by an employee from outside sources that are disclosed in connection with the employee’s disclosure of any conflict of commitment or interest.
- A copy of management plans related to Conflicts of Commitment shall be maintained in the employee's personnel file.