The Lola Lopes Award for Undergraduate Student Advocacy, given annually by the Office of the Provost, honors University of Iowa administrators and staff who support undergraduate education and who serve as strong, effective advocates for undergraduate students.
The recipient of the award receives a $1,000 honorarium and a certificate, and his or her name is added to a plaque displayed prominently in the Admission Visitors Center where prospective students and parents can see the importance we place on undergraduate students and their educational experience. The recipient is announced in the spring semester and the award presented in the fall semester.
Eligibility for Award:
- Current UI administrators, staff, and faculty in a non-teaching role are eligible for the Award.
Who May Nominate:
- Any current UI student or faculty or staff member may make a nomination.
- Nominations must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on February 26, 2021.
To nominate a person for this award, please fill out the online nomination form. Include (by uploading via the online form) the following supporting materials:
- Nomination letter briefly describing the nominee’s efforts, achievements and distinction that make the nominee an especially effective advocate for undergraduate students. The letter should address the following questions:
- How has the nominee demonstrated excellence in service to undergraduate students?
- What evidence is there that the impact of the nominee's work has reached many undergraduate students and/or affected a smaller number of undergraduate students deeply?
- How has the nominee's work supported student success?
- How has the nominee been an advocate for undergraduate students?
- Two letters of support addressing specific ways in which the nominee has supported undergraduate education and served as a strong and effective advocate for undergraduate students. Letters of support are limited to two pages for each letter. Please note: No more than two letters will be accepted.
Be sure to provide the name of the nominee's department head. The department head will be asked to submit his or her endorsement of the nomination.
A committee of five persons composed of administrators, faculty, staff, and one student will review the nominations according to the criteria outlined in the Nominating Materials (above). The committee is composed of:
- One staff member from the offices that report to the associate provost for undergraduate education (designated by the associate provost for undergraduate education)
- One staff member from the offices that report to the vice president for student life (designated by the vice president for student life)
- One faculty member (designated by the Faculty Senate president)
- One undergraduate student (designated by the UISG president)
- The associate provost for undergraduate education
- Nominations due: by 5:00 p.m. on February 26, 2021
- Recipient announced in spring 2021 and award presented in fall 2021
2021: Erika Christiansen
2020: Claudia Gabriela Rivera
2019: Martha Kirby
2018: Diane Hauser
2017: Kelly Thornburg
2016: Scott Coffel
2015: William "Bill" Nelson
2014: Sarah Lux Hansen
2013: Cindy Seyfer
2012: Helena Dettmer
2009: Jane Dorman
2007: Pat Folsom and Bob Kirby