The University of Iowa

New process- health accommodation needs for graduate assistants

Deans, Directors and Departmental Executive Officers
John C. Keller; Associate Provost and Dean, the Graduate College and Shelly Campo; Associate Dean, the Graduate College
November 16, 2018
New process- health accommodation needs for graduate assistants

Effective immediately, the Graduate College and Departments will begin collaborating with University Human Resources Faculty and Staff Disability Services Office (FSDS) to administer all workplace accommodation needs (including new or ongoing health conditions) for graduate assistants.  This change is consistent with the recent change for faculty and staff employees. What this means for you is if you have a graduate assistant with health condition that results in a need for time away from work -or- assistance while at work, your student and your department will work directly with a member of the FSDS team.

What you need to know: 

  1. If a student reports that his/her health is impacting the ability to perform job duties, the student may need a workplace accommodation. If so, you must work with Faculty and Staff Disability Services to determine the appropriate accommodation.
  2. If you would like a confidential conversation with the FSDS office directly to discuss the graduate assistant’s health needs, please contact an FSDS staff member at 335-2660 or email
  3. Students needing academic accommodations should apply through Student Disability Services in addition to FSDS for workplace accommodations.  

We are very pleased to be centralizing leave and disability and working with the FSDS team to ensure that graduate assistants will be appropriately accommodated.