The University of Iowa is a leader in the Big Ten providing a comprehensive benefit package. The Benefits Office offers complete services to all faculty and assists in benefit selection, enrollment, and changes, as well as claims processing, and the strategic use of your benefits. Whatever your needs, the University can help you tailor a benefits package from a wide range of options. Depending upon your employment classification, benefit options include:
The University offers a full benefits package based on four core insurance benefits: health, dental, group term life, and disability insurance. All regular faculty with appointments of at least 50 percent time, receive a University contribution toward the cost of their benefits.
- Comprehensive health insurance plan
- Comprehensive dental insurance plan
- Domestic partner coverage for same and opposite-sex partners.
- Group and supplemental life insurance
- Spousal and/or dependent life insurance
- Voluntary insurance program
- Accidental death and dismemberment insurance
- Long-term disability insurance
- Long-term Care insurance
Below are links to the following types of paid leave:
- Vacation and Sick Leave
- Family Caregiving Leave
- Catastrophic Leave
- Optional Conversion of unused sick leave to vacation (after 240 hours of accrued sick time)
- Faculty Development Awards Program
Upon employment separation from the University, fiscal year faculty are paid for unused vacation. Upon retirement from the University, fiscal year and academic year faculty are paid for sick leave accrual up to a maximum of $2,000.
Flexible Spending Accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses creating the potential to save hundreds of dollars in taxes each year.
- University Retirement plans with generous University contributions and a wide variety of investment options.
- Phased retirement which allows you to propose a schedule for phasing into retirement. If approved by your department and college/division, you can phase into retirement up to a maximum period of two years.
- Free retirement account advising if you select TIAA-CREF retirement at the local TIAA-CREF Office.
- Continuation of retirement contributions for you in the event you become disabled.
- Free financial education classes on a variety of topics available on campus every month through University vendors.
Everyone can do something to enhance their personal health and well-being, whether they are the picture of health or living with a chronic illness. liveWELL programs and services are designed to support you in your health and wellness efforts, no matter where you find yourself on the health continuum.
877/830-4001 (toll free)