The Office of the Provost provides academic leadership to the University. Its fundamental mission is to champion innovation and excellence in teaching, research, creative production, and service.
The executive vice president and provost (Susan J. Curry, interim) is the university's chief academic officer. Reporting directly to the president, the provost is responsible for the supervision of all academic programs, a wide range of faculty matters (including academic promotion and tenure decisions and faculty advocacy), student academic affairs, and strategic academic planning. He or she communicates on behalf of the university with the Board of Regents, State of Iowa, and with a wide variety of internal and external constituencies. The provost is a principal participant in collaborative decision-making involving university-wide strategic planning and budget development, management of auxiliary enterprises, health care services, and the conduct of research and scholarship.
The provost delegates some of the responsibilities of the Office of the Provost to the
- associate provost for undergraduate education and dean of the University College (Lon Moeller),
- associate provost for graduate education and dean of the Graduate College (John Keller),
- associate provost for faculty (Kevin Kregel),
- associate provost for outreach and engagement (Linda Snetselaar),
- chief diversity officer and associate vice president (Georgina Dodge),
- associate provost and dean of International Programs (Downing Thomas), and
- associate vice president and director of administration and planning (Don Szeszycki).
The deans of the university's eleven colleges report to the provost, as do the deans of University College, Continuing Education, and International Programs, along with the university librarian and the director of the Museum of Art. The chief information officer reports jointly to the provost and senior vice president for finance and operations, and the chief diversity officer reports jointly to the provost and the president. The director of the Institute for Clinical and Translational Science, like the dean of the Carver College of Medicine, reports jointly to the provost and vice president for medical affairs.