Recommend principles and a process for the distribution of new and reallocated General Education Funds (GEF) that enable the pursuit of the University’s aspirations, new strategic initiatives, and more entrepreneurial activities while preserving and enhancing the University of Iowa’s reputation as an internationally-recognized public research university and health sciences center.
Specifically, the Task Force should:
- Review UI’s current GEF budget model and identify ways to address any desired changes (the Advisory Board’s Custom Research Brief may be a good starting point for a review of existing University budget models, as well as a recent detailed history of UI’s allocations of new tuition, appropriations and reallocations).
- Review non-GEF revenues and how those are used to further the educational goals of the University.
- Assess the current allocation and expenditure of GEF dollars and determine what reallocations are warranted.
- Review and recommend a prototype self-supporting academic unit pilot program.
- Develop other incentive program prototypes.
- Recommend metrics that will chart the change in targeted activities.
- Co-Chair: Barry Butler, dean, College of Engineering
- Co-Chair: Sue Curry, dean, College of Public Health
- Scott Arneson, associate dean, College of Dentistry
- Jon Carlson, senior associate to the president and professor, College of Law
- Raul Curto, associate dean, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- David Drake, professor, College of Dentistry
- Janet Fairley, professor and DEO, Department of Dermatology
- Steve Fleagle, chief information officer
- Hazel Kerr, staff co-chair, Faculty/Staff Budget Committee
- Susan Klatt, director, Financial Management, and University Secretary
- Donald Letendre, dean, College of Pharmacy
- Lauren Rabinovitz, professor, American Studies
- Paul Rothman, dean, Carver College of Medicine
- Vickie Sharp, faculty co-chair, Faculty/Staff Budget Committee
- Chuck Whiteman, associate dean, Tippie College of Business
- Karna Wieck, director, Business and Financial Administration, CLAS
- Executive office representative: Sue Buckley, vice president for human resources
- Executive office representative: Doug True, senior vice president and University Treasurer
- Ex officio: Don Szeszycki, associate vice president and director of administration and planning
Don Szeszycki, associate vice president and director of administration and planning
Office: 237 JH
Mail: 111 JH
Updated July 20, 2009