Faculty Engagement Corps
The University of Iowa Faculty Engagement Corps is a “listening tour” that gives selected faculty members and administrators the opportunity to spend some time immersed in one region of Iowa. The next trip is scheduled for May 21-24, 2013.
During the trip, the group visits with constituencies of the university including, but not limited to, community members, alumni, current and prospective students, representatives of educational agencies (both secondary and collegiate), health care professionals, area legislators, and members of the business community.
Through these interactions, participants
- Learn about the selected area of the state, including the strengths and challenges in the individual communities;
- Demonstrate to the communities the University of Iowa’s commitment to its mission of service along with teaching and research; and
- Become informed about the relationships of the University of Iowa with the communities and how these relationships can be enhanced.
Faculty Engagement Corps participants develop a clearer understanding of the cultural, historical, economic and educational underpinnings of the state, and are introduced to the communities from which their students come and in which the state taxpayers live. These insights can be used to enhance their own teaching and research, inform campus communication initiatives, and advise on university outreach initiatives.
The group travels by bus and stays overnight in one or two of the communities, depending on the length of the trip. By traveling and learning together, participants develop friendships and professional connections that can last a lifetime. In addition, the participation of faculty members from all 11 colleges leads to the discovery of shared interests across disciplines, which might never have been made despite working and living in such close proximity.
The trip is scheduled in May, following the completion of the spring semester. It is sponsored by the Office of the Provost with support from the Faculty Senate. Initiated in 2006, during the UI Year of Public Engagement, the program has included tours of Northwest, Northeast, South/Central, and West/Central Iowa.
For more information contact Mary Kenyon, Office of University Relations, 384-0011, firstname.lastname@example.org.
2013 Engagement Corps Planning Committee
- Loyce Arthur, Theatre Arts, email@example.com
- Andre Brock, Library and Information Science, firstname.lastname@example.org
- David Dick, Radiology, email@example.com
- Mark Isham, Engineering, firstname.lastname@example.org
- David Peate, Geoscience, email@example.com
- Anne Wallace, Communication Sciences and Disorders, firstname.lastname@example.org